Baja California Sur and Glamping!

Amazing week in Baja! Snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, paddle boarding.. and most of all Glamping!
Baja California Sur is a gorgeous and less touristed part of Mexico. It is bordered by the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez. To get there fly into Cabo San Lucas.. but then leave Cabo immediately! It is full of all inclusive resorts and well a different type of experience. Drive 90 minutes to the town of Todos Santos. It is an artist-y town with a lot of expats, as well as local. There are cactus and mountains like a desert up high but then the blue water of the Pacific Ocean is right there. There is a great hike in the cliffs with amazing views. The hike itself is not difficult, a slow incline until the end with a little scrambling. And there are so many amazing restaurants in town.
From here I went to the east coast and did some snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo. This is a marine national park and one of the best places in the world for scuba diving. Note that the roads getting here are not paved. I’m not even sure I would call them roads. Four wheel drive required and best to have a guide/driver. I was here off season, as usual when I’m doing scouting. But this does mean the water temperature is at its lowest. And maybe for this reason there were more jelly fish than normal. We took a boat out into the water and threw anchor in several spots to snorkel. I have never seen so many fish in my life. It was incredible. Each snorkel was different but great. The last spot we stopped was near some underwater caves and sea lions. As we were climbing back on the boat the guide suddenly was anxious and hurrying us, and I realized why as I was waiting behind another guest to climb the boat ladder I felt the sting. What turned out to be a Portuguese man o’war stung my cheek! There was some drama as we had to rush back to the mainland but other than the extreme pain all was fine. I couldn’t believe when I looked in a mirror that there was no mark… it felt like my whole face was swollen and burning. Anyway, the guide assured me this was uncommon but I would recommend wetsuits and bringing some Benadryl with you, just in case.
Then I was off to the best part of this trip. Glamping on the island of Espiritu Santo. There is nothing like sleeping in a full size comfortable bed looking at the ocean and listening to the water. Right outside the tent are paddle boards and kayaks. And snorkeling literally with sea lions. And a chef even manages to make gourmet meals.. and fresh margaritas here!
The only thing wrong with this whole experience is that I was alone as I was scouting for work. It is one place I absolutely plan to return with friends on my own! Highly recommend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managua to Matagalpa

Leaving Costa Rica