Copenhagen to Gothenburg

Since I was going to a conference in Gothenburg, Sweden I decided to add a few extra days and do some exploring. It worked best to fly into Copenhagen, Denmark for 2 nights and then take a train to Sweden. The train could not have been easier and the station was literally at the hotel were the conference was being held. Copenhagen was a great choice! It is a vibrant city. So clean and active. The people just felt so healthy and alive - not to mention beautiful. I was staying at the Admiral Hotel and took the metro from the airport to Kongens Nytorv station. From here it was a short walk to the hotel. After checking in and dropping bags I set off to explore. Kongens Nytorv is the central square of the city and a good place to start out. It is at the start of a main shopping street - Stroget pedestrian street. I came across the Round Tower - built in the 17th century. Entering you continue along the spiral walk until you come out to a viewing platform with 360 views of the city. There is also a library where Hans Christian Andersen would frequent.
Next I went to Torvehallerne Market which is a huge food hall and outdoor beer garden. I had a quick snack and then walked through the King’s Garden. This is the country’s oldest royal garden and essentially a large public park with extensive green lawns. As it was a Sunday afternoon in late September it was busy with so many families and couples picnic-ing, riding bicycles and generally enjoying being outdoors. After going back to the hotel to change and freshen up I headed to Nyhavn for dinner. These colorful houses along the water are quintessential Copenhagen. It’s the picture that comes to mind when anyone mentions Denmark. And it did not disappoint. I strolled along taking pictures and enjoying the view. And found a table outside for dinner and some great people watching.
Boarding the train the next day I took a train to Gothenburg, Sweden. It was just under 4 hours. The first full day of the conference is actually called a “Day of Adventure” so I was able to explore a little of the area. We took a bus to a seaside town about an hour away and then a boat to Marstrand Island. We hiked around the island. And visited a castle with a historic guide.. down to the outfit. And had the most amazing seafood lunch which I deeply regret not photographing.
I wish I spent more time in Sweden, it is definitely a place to return one day for a proper visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managua to Matagalpa

Leaving Costa Rica